You know what would be a great gift?

I know this is really geeky, unnecessarily nostalgic request, but I would really like a 5¼” write protect cutting tool (to turn a floppy into a flippy) on my desk. I can’t justify this request, it is completely irrational. Anyone know where I can find one of these doohickeys anymore? I haven’t had a use for one in approximately 15 years.

7 thoughts on “You know what would be a great gift?

  1. I’ll check my boxes of C=64 crap at home… there might be one in there…

    functionally though, You can just notch it out with scissors or a hole-punch… but i’m guessing you need the functionality…

    1. Obviously, those would work, but there was this little tool, it held the disk just in the right place and cut a perfect little notch out (just like the “factory” notch on the other side).

      1. I had a tool to punch a hole in my 3 1/2’s to make the 1.44 High Density. A screwdriver and a hammer worked just as well, but it’s just not the same…

  2. No disk notchers on Ebay’s “vintage PC” section, but:

    I found one for sale here. I’m not sure if this site gets used or updated much, so it might already have been sold. Worth a shot.

    Also, this might be worth a look.

  3. I have one :)

    Not that I’d expect to get much use out of it these days, with how crappy the floppies are being made.

    It’s currently buried in the garage – I’ll let you know when I find it. If you haven’t gotten one by then, let me know and we can work out a swap for some other weird old thing or something. :)

Leave a Reply