Back in February I ordered a pair of 15 foot 1/4″ cables from Monoprice to use for the radio programme as well as recording my guitar. Â When I opened the box, the cables seemed a bit bulky, but I didn’t put much thought into them. Â I used them for several weeks, bunching up the slack underneath the coffee table. Â One night, after the radio show was over, Corinna and Rory started busting my balls about how long the cables were. Â I had to admit they did seem just a touch longer than 15′. Â So we busted out a tape measure and found that my 15′ cables were actually 50′.
Bank error in my favor? Â I’d normally agree, but being I really only needed the cables to run the few feet from my mixer to the living room amplifier, it was a little ridiculous. Embarrassed that I didn’t realize this right away, I quickly resolved turn the two cables into four. Â One pair of shorter patch cables (as I had originally ordered) and a long pair of extensions. Â I also realized that my original estimate of 15′ was actually too long, so I decided on 10′ and 40′ lengths for the cables.
Fast forward several months to me actually getting off my ass to do this work. Â A week or so ago I ordered all of the interconnects I actually needed, and a few days ago I measured and cut the cables to length, and began assembling them. Â Or at least I had planned to. Â It turned out that the insulation on the cable was too thick to fit through the jack housing. Â Furthermore, my soldering iron was a piece of shit. Â So I set everything aside until I could make a trip to the electronics shop.
This morning I made my pilgrimage “You-do-it” Electronics, home of everything a nerd needs for projects such as these. I picked up an alternate set of connectors, some sexy colored heat-shrink tubing to color code the cables and extensions, a nice Weller soldering iron, a new pair of dikes, and a bit of random stuff that has nothing to do with this project but which one is susceptible to buying at Nerd Mecca. Â Once I got home with the right gear and parts, building the cables was a piece of cake.
My weekend project is done, I’ve acquired some new tools, breathed in some lead… Â So far, so good!