- What a tough year… There were so many great films, I simply couldn’t find a place for all of them on the list. What’s crazier is that even having seen 160 pictures in 2007 (and catching up on several early in 2008), there are still so many I feel I missed out on! I did my best on this list.. The listed films are in no particular order.
- Top 11 Films of 2007:
- Bottom 4 films of 2007:
- Film which should have been in last year’s top ten: The Queen
- Best Remake/Reworking: 3:10 to Yuma (honorable mention goes to Halloween)
- Most Unnecessary Remake/Reworking: The Invasion (So unnecessary I didn’t need to see it!)
- Best Director: Paul Thomas Anderson for There Will Be Blood
- Best Actress: Marion Cotillard for La Vie en Rose
- Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood
- Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett for I’m Not There
- Best Supporting Actor: Tom Wilkinson for Michael Clayton
- Best Ensemble: Hot Fuzz
- Best Original Screenplay: Lars and the Real Girl
- Best Adapted Screenplay: There Will Be Blood
- Best Cinematography: There Will Be Blood
- Best Soundtrack: There Will Be Blood
- Most Alarming Cinematic Trend: Remakes going 3 or 4 levels deep…
- Most Memorable Lines:
- Daniel Plainview: Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I’m so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that’s a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake… I… drink… your… milkshake!
- Nicholas Angel: Are there any questions?
Danny Butterman: Is it true that there’s a point on a man’s head where if you shoot it, it will blow up?
- Brian Kuh: If anybody wants to see, there’s a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
- Stuntman Mike: Do I frighten you?
Stuntman Mike: Is it my scar?
Arlene: It’s your car.
Stuntman Mike: Yeah, I know. I’m sorry. It’s my mom’s car.
- Best Documentary: The King of Kong (honorable mention goes to Monster Camp)
- Best use of Special Effects in a lame movie: The Golden Compass
- Best Interviews in a Documentary: The King of Kong
- Films I feel guilty for missing: In the Valley of Elah, Away from Her, The Savages, Gone Baby Gone
- Films I don’t feel guilty for missing: Atonement, The Invasion, Alvin and the Chipmunks